Lately I have been slacking in the area of baking for many reasons, but today I am more than ready to make-up for all the days that I have already missed with a delicious upside down pineapple cake recipe. This is probably the easiest cake recipe that I own….Mark my words! Let’s get started with the non-edible materials, first you will need a 13x9 inch rectangular pan, mixing bowl and mixing utensil. Now, for the ingredients I find it more than convenient that I measure all the ingredients before I mix anything together. This allows me to work more efficiently without stumbling over my ingredients. Below are the ingredients and directions:
Ingredients:
Batter:
1/3 cup softened shortening
1/2 cup butter, softened
2 large eggs
1 1/2 cups sugar
2 1/4 cups flour
1 teaspoon salt
2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
1 cup milk
1/2 cup butter, softened
2 large eggs
1 1/2 cups sugar
2 1/4 cups flour
1 teaspoon salt
2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
1 cup milk
Topping:
4 tablespoons of melted unsalted butter
½ cup of light brown sugar packed
1 cup of crushed pineapples drained
6-8 pineapple circles depending upon how much pine apple you like
6-8 maraschino cherries place strategically
Directions:
1. Preheat oven at 350 degrees
2. Spread the 4 tablespoons of melted unsalted butter into the bottom of the 13x9 in rectangular pan (Do not worry about greasing the pan as you would with a traditional cake recipe)
3. Crumble the ½ cup of brown sugar into the bottom of the pan onto of the melted butter
4. Sprinkle the drained crushed pineapple across the pan
5. Place the pineapple rings into the pan, you should be able to get at least 6 rings into the bottom of the pan, if you want more then add more
6. Now place the maraschino cherries in the circle of each ring, again if you want more add them between each ring.
7. Set this pan aside as you will pour the finished cake batter on top of this mixture
8. Pre-measure all ingredients before you begin to mix anything
9. Cream softened shortening and ½ cup of butter.
10. Add the eggs into the mixture, mix well
11. Add Vanilla and continue to mix
12. Add dry ingredients for the batter and the milk alternately with one another starting with the dry ingredients and ending with the milk.
13. Bake for 30 to 35 minutes; do not stick a toothpick too far down into the cake when testing for its doneness.
14. Let cake cool for 5 minutes, while the cake is still hot take a butter knife and go around the sides of the cakes releasing it from the cake pan. Now flip the rectangular cake onto a rectangular plate or cake board.
You can either let this cake cool further or dig right into it while it’s warm, but I do suggest that you let it cool for about 10 minutes. The cake will still be warm but it will not burn your tongue…lol
I haven't had pineapple upside cake in such a long time. I really want a slice now, I will have to try this recipe.
ReplyDelete